Monday, July 4, 2016

January Update

Happy New Year! We rang in the new year by flying back to Minnesota from Indiana and unpacking and getting the girls back into their routines. We had just enough time to grocery shop and take down Christmas decorations and it was time to go back to school and work....well, sort of.

On January 4, Olivia had her tonsils/adenoids removed and her 2nd set of tubes. It was an early surgery time so we dropped off Annie as early as possible and headed to the surgery center. We had read a book and talked about this surgery with Olivia for a couple of months. She was as ready as any 5 year old would be and stayed pretty brave until Duane came into the room wearing scrubs and a surgical cap. He was the unlucky one that had to hold her while they did anesthesia. I sat in the room and cried by myself. 45 minutes later she was out of surgery and we could go see her. She was a wreck! They tell you to keep the child calm so they don't yell/scream and irritate their throat....right, sure, easy! Not really. She was mad and coming out of that anesthesia fog was hard for her. My favorite part of the whole day, she looked right at me and said, "the nurses and doctors here are SO RUDE!" (Not really, sweetie, they were amazing!) She wouldn't drink or eat her Popsicle. It took about an hour and we finally got her to drink and take some pain medicine. She slept on the drive home and when we got to the house, she was groggy and slow but she was so ready for movies. Her appetite came back quickly and she made sure she had Popsicle after Popsicle after Popsicle.

We woke her at night to make sure we stayed ahead of the pain and that was quite a chore. She was overly tired and pretty mad. I stayed at home with her that week and by Thursday, I called Duane and basically told him I'd lose my mind if I had to stay at home another day with her. Going into work on that Friday was almost like going to the spa for a day! ;) Olivia was back at school a week later and slowly recovered from all of the TV and sugary Popsicles, oh and surgery, too!

The rest of the month was cold and typical January-in-Minnesota.... I traveled a bit and wouldn't you know, the first trip away from home I take, Duane came down with a 24-hour stomach bug! I was FaceTiming with Olivia the first night I was gone and she made a weird comment about "Shar had to take us to Daddy today!" Poor Duane had gotten sick right before picking up the girls and didn't want to go into daycare so one of the teachers brought the girls out to him....poor guy! He powered through and by the next morning, he was fine and the only one that had gotten sick. Annie pretty much had an ear infection all month, though, but more on that later!

Here are a few pictures from the month.

Do you see Annie? Boxes and boxes of baby items (but not Annie!) packed and ready for Alex and Giesla's future Potter baby!  I do need to add here that when Duane was taking care of this, he wasn't exactly paying attention to Annie and she ate cat food. I found out later from my trusty reporter, Olivia.....

Olivia skating on our pond

a birthday part at Chuck E. Cheese - 1st and last time there (thankfully nobody contracted a MERSA infection!)

MOA trip for dinner and rides

No comments:

Post a Comment