Monday, March 11, 2013

Butternut Squash Lasagna

As promised, here is the recipe I mentioned last week
Butternut Squash Lasagna

Ingredients:
One small butternut squash, sliced into thin planks
1 lb Italian sausage  
Sauce:
one carrot, one celery stalk, one garlic clove, half a can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes, a can of Glen pizza sauce, 2 fresh basil leaves, 1 1/2 fire roasted red peppers
1/2 chopped green pepper
1 clove of garlic
1/2 chopped onion
dash of sea salt

First, I fried the sausage. In a separate pan, I sauteed the onion, garlic and green pepper in EVOO. Then I combined the meat with the pepper mix.
Next I cooked the carrot and celery fully in water. I added the cooked carrot, celery, garlic, 1/2 can of roasted tomatoes, the red pepper and the basil to the food processor and blended. I poured the mix into a sauce pan and added the pizza sauce. I simmered the mix on low for about 15 minutes.
Next, I peeled and cut the butternut squash in half. I sliced the squash into thin planks. I didn't use the entire squash. Save the leftovers for butternut squash soup or oven roast them the next day.
I layered a 13x9 pan coated in EVOO with first some sauce. Then I layered the squash across the pan like you would lasagna noodles. I mixed the tomato sauce with the meat mix and alternated layering the squash and the sauce mix. I created about 3 layers to the top. I ended with the sauce combo on top. I baked it at 350 for 45 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment